Happy Easter everyone! Since the Saudis don't recognize Easter and our weekend over here is Friday and Saturday, today was actually just a normal school/work day for us. But, we did attend an Easter party on Friday that was organized by some wonderful ladies who live in our compound.
There were 3 egg hunts (divided by age) that got progressively more difficult and competitive. It was fun watching the difference between the laid back 0-3 year old group and the much more competitive 7-10 year old kids.
The party also included egg dying and a potluck dinner. While we were at the table dying our eggs, another mom and I started talking. She hadn't ever heard of dying eggs and so was curious about the tradition. I realized at that point that I had never actually thought about why we dye eggs. . . it's just something that we do. . . even though it is pretty much guaranteed to make a mess. :-) I like being around so many people from other countries and cultures--it gives me an opportunity to stop and think more about my own customs and traditions.
As you can see my kids had a wonderful time!





Your blog is great! I just read through the whole thing :) I'm from Houston and currently live here, so it's fascinating read about a family who left Houston for Saudi Arabia. Best of luck to y'all!
ReplyDeleteHi Melanie! Thanks so much for reading and your comment. :-)
Delete